Enroll a Child
It all starts with the right role models. Mid-Ohio Youth Mentoring is the place to start a relationship with one. For over 22 years, due in large part to private donations, we’ve been able to recruit, screen, match and support mentoring relationships that have changed the lives of thousands of young people in our community — one child at a time.
You’ll feel the impact as much as your child.
A study of youth mentoring programs like ours found that kids matched with a Mentor:
- are more confident
- are more likely to steer clear of drugs and alcohol
- do better in school
- get along better with their family and friends
- feel better about themselves
You know what’s best for your child. So we’ll need your help from the start, providing information about your child’s strengths and needs, and ultimately approving the mentor and match relationship. But your role doesn’t end there.
KEEPING KIDS SAFE
The safety and well-being of the children we serve is Mid-Ohio Youth Mentorings’ highest priority. We strive to achieve the highest quality possible in matching a child to a caring volunteer mentor, and in providing ongoing professional support services to our children, parents, and volunteers.
To help ensure child safety, Mid-Ohio Youth Mentorings – Standards of Excellence require the following steps to be taken:
Each volunteer must complete a thorough screening process that includes :
- Completion of a formal written application
- A criminal history record check on the local, state and national level
- A Social Security number verification
- A Motor Vehicle Dept. and Drivers License Check
- References Checks
- An in-person interview
- An assessment of their home environment (for community-based mentoring)
- A professional assessment of their appropriateness to volunteer with a child
- An orientation and training process that outlines the individualized needs of your child and provides information and resources on how to encourage your child’s healthy development
Mid-Ohio Youth Mentoring also provides child safety tips to you and your child, and we welcome your questions and feedback. Throughout the life of the match, our professional staff will be in ongoing communication with you, your child, and your child’s Mentor. Our staff and your child’s Mentor, with your support, are committed to the healthy growth and development of your child.
WORKING WITH THE FAMILY
Parents as Partners
Parents and guardians are an integral part of the Mid-Ohio Youth Mentoring match at every step of the process. Not only will you provide information about your child’s strengths and needs, but you’ll also approve the selection of the Mentor chosen by the agency.
Once the match is made, parents remain closely involved in several key ways, including:
- Approving match activities and supporting your child’s involvement
- Asking your child questions about the match meetings, and reporting any concerns to the agency staff
- Regularly reporting back to the agency about your child’s progress and milestones in the match relationship – Mid-Ohio Youth Mentoring will contact you regularly, but we welcome your feedback at any time.
- Participating in training on child safety offered by Mid-Ohio Youth Mentoring staff, and communicating with your child about the training you receive.